Monday, 3 August 2009

Freedom of press the sitting duck

The person who has spoken about these kinds of attacks is Christiane Amanpour from CNN who is one of my favourite anchors. I was watching a documentary “Scream Bloody Murder” and by accident, I discovered her message on Youtube. I was shocked about what she said because the press has a right to report where they are in the world. In the EU article 6, everyone has the right to be free. In article 11, it says that we have a right to freedom of speech and freedom of information. These are our fundamental rights.

Journalists or anchors are human beings like us and they do what they do because they love it and they make a living of it. The purpose of the free press is to inform is about the circumstances that they see around the world so that we can have an idea about what is going on in our communities and around the world. My hope is that laws are enforced by the UN, if the UN cares about free speech and the freedom of press. I hope that CPJ keeps fighting a big battle against bandits who are so insecure that they would have to kill for their survival.

My thanks to Christiane Amanpour from CNN for brining this topic on Youtube and I owe this book to her and many other journalists who risk their lives reporting in dangerous places. My hope is that the families of the victims get the help and the justice they need so that they can be healed. Thank you for stepping in this blog. I am very grateful that Christiane Amanpour is such a great inspiration. I dedicate this book to her and many other anchors around the world. In Freedom of Press, the sitting duck, I use poetry to talk about different situations, journalists can endure. I am not specific on characters because anyone of them can be in similar situations. I relate this situation with others who go through it too: Authors, Human Rights activists, Greenpeace activists, freedom fighters, aid workers etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment